A. 早安|Zǎo Ān (Good Morning Chant)
Keywords: 早安|zǎo ān(good morning)
- Be sure that you have a list of everyone’s names inthe class in front of you if you do
not have the names memorized yet.
- Say, “早安|zǎo ān!In Mandarin, good morning is 早安|zǎoān.”
- Ask the class to repeat after you, “Ok class, repeat after me, say 早|zǎo[pause for
them to repeat], 安|ān [pause for them to repeat].” Repeat three times. When you
leave space for the children to respond you should also say the keyword silently as a
- Instruct everyone to imitate you patting their laps and wait until there is a unison
- Once there is a rhythm instruct the class to repeat after you, “Say, 早安|zǎo ān, 早
|zǎo, 早|zǎo, 安|ān” and pause to let the children respond.
- Chant 早安|zǎo ān, 早|zǎo, 早|zǎo, 安|twāno to four times and begin with
your name. Say, “早安|zǎo ān(your name), 早安|zǎo ān(your name).”
- If the children are seated in a circle, call a child’sname, followed by the child seated
next to them.
- After chanting for three names in the class, modulate your voice up a half step and
repeat 早安|zǎo ān, 早|zǎo, 早|zǎo, 安|twice before ān going on to three more
- Once all the names have been called, accelerate the rhythm and say “aplaudiendo.”
Repeat all names starting with yours, but clapping.
B. 你好|Ní Hǎo (Hello Song)
Keywords: 你好|ní hǎo(hello), 你好吗|ní hǎo mā (how are you), 我很好|wǒ hén hǎo
(very well), 谢谢|xìe xìe (thank you), 你好吗|ní hǎo mā (are you well)
- Begin by passing out shakers and instructing everyone to repeat after you as you say, “你好|ní hǎo, [你好|ní hǎo], 你好吗|ní hǎo mā, [你好吗|ní hǎmā], o 我很好 |wǒ hén hǎo, [我很好|wǒ hén hǎo], 谢谢|xìe xìe, [谢谢|xìexìe].” By the time you return to your seat explain that they have just said hello, how are you, very well, and thank you.
- Explain there will be a part of the song where youask, “你好吗|ní hǎo mā. Are you well?” and they should repeat “好|hǎo” by raising up their hands and shaking their shakers. Translate that 好|hǎomeans well.
- Explain that you are doing well too so you will then say, “我很好|wǒ hén hǎ!”o which means, I am well. And they should then raise their hands again and say “好 |hǎo.”
- Ask the class, “Who likes to sing? Everyone say, 唱歌|chàng gē la la la.” And explain that at the end of the song everyone willsing together in the melody of the song.
- Practice singing the la la la’s in the melody of the song.
- Pause for their part and be especially animated when singing it with them.
- Use dynamics to keep the song compelling.
- Cue students for “我很好|wǒ hén hǎ”o.
- Teach 谢谢|xìe xìe and encourage children to shout that out at the correct part of the song.
- Challenge kids to be leaders and sing the song for you to follow.
C. . 收拾东西|Shōu Shí Dōng Xī (Clean-up Song)
Keywords: : 收拾|shōu shí (to clean)
- Ask one child in the class, “你知道现在是什么时候吗?|nǐ zhī dàoxìan zài shì
shén mē shí hòu mā? Do you know what time it is?” Answer, “是时候收拾东西
了|shì shí hòu shōu shí dōng xī lē! It’s time to clean up.”
- Motion with your hands as if you were collecting toys and putting them into a basket
and say, “收拾|shōu shí, 收拾|shōu shí, 收拾|shōu shí” in a fun rhythm.
Encourage class to repeat with you.
- Tell the class that when you clean up you like to sing a special song and sing 收拾时
间|shōu shí shí jīan once for them.
- Sing once with class using instruments.
- Continue singing and begin to place your instruments in the basket.
- Go around with basket and allow class to collect.
D. 草莓|Cǎo Méi (Strawberries)
Keywords: 草莓|cǎo méi(strawberries), 这里|zhè lǐ(here), 草莓在哪里呢?|cǎo méi zài nǎ lǐ nē? (where are the strawberries)
- Ask the class, “Who likes strawberries?” Announce, “We’re going to look for
strawberries.” Say, “我们要去找草莓|wǒ mén yào qù zhǎo cǎo méi!”
- Instruct the class to repeat, 草莓|cǎo méi, 草莓|cǎo méi, 草莓|cǎo méiusing
the melody from the song.
- Ask class where you can find 草莓|cǎo méiand then answer 这里|zhè lǐ, 这里
|zhè lǐ, 和这里|hé zhè lǐgoing up and down with the parachute each time.
Explain, “这里|zhè lǐmeans here.” Repeat 这里|zhè lǐ,这里|zhè lǐ, 这里|zhè lǐ
- Be mindful to not do the 这里|zhè lǐ, 这里|zhè lǐ, 和这里|hé zhè lǐ part too fast
because children may run on to of the parachute andit can cause a distraction.
- Encourage the class to run underneath the parachute and pretend that they are the
- Instruct the class to begin walk around in a circle while stomping their feet while you
begin singing 草莓|Cǎo Méi.
- Cue class to say 这里|zhè lǐby pausing and asking “草莓在哪里呢?|cǎo méi zài
nǎ lǐ nē? Where are the strawberries?”
- Use different tempos and dynamics and repeat a few times.
E. 我们来唱歌|Wǒ Mén Lái Chàng Gē (We Are Going to Sing)
Keywords: 唱歌|chàng gē (to sing), 玩|wán (to play), 睡觉|shùi jìao (to sleep), 拍手
|pāi shǒu (to clap)
- Say, “我们来唱歌|wǒ mén lái chàng gē!”
- Have the kids say with you in a rhythm “唱歌|chàng gē, 唱歌|chàng gē, 唱歌
|chàng gē, la la la la la.”
- Now, shake your shakers in a very fast motion and say, “玩|wán means to play.
Shake with me and say, 玩|wán, 玩|wán, 玩|wán . Again!” Repeat three times.
- To teach 睡觉|shùi jìao, yawn, stretch, snore, and pretend to sleep. Instruct the
class to do the same as you all repeat “睡觉|shùi jìao, 睡觉|shùi jìao, 睡觉|shùi
- Clap your hands in a rhythm with the class and instruct them to repeat 拍手|pāi
shǒu, 拍手|pāi shǒu, 拍手|pāi shǒ. u
- Instruct everyone to begin by playing their instruments together. Say, “Ok class, let’s
make a rhythm. Now we are going to sing. 我们来唱歌|wǒ mén lái chàng gē!
Repeat after me say, 我们来唱歌|wǒ mén lái chàng gē!”
- Cue class when it is their turn to sing 唱歌|chàng gē.
- Before you begin to sing 玩|wán shake your shakers to remind them to engage in
- Slow down and sing softly while you pretend to sleep for 睡觉|shùi jìao. To add
humor, make a loud snoring sound and gesture sleeping with your eyes closed.
- Speed up the tempo and be lively and animated when you sing 拍手|pāi shǒu. Cue
class by saying, “拍手|pāi shǒu!Clap your hands!”
F. 听|Tīng (Listen)
Keywords: 听|tīng (listen), 风|fēng (wind), 雨|yŭ (rain), 海|hǎi(sea)
- Say, “听|tīng, shhh. In Mandarin, 听|tīng means listen.”
- Explain that you’re going to dim the lights and sing a lullaby because it’s time to
listen and calm down. Repeat, “听|tīng, shhh” three times.
- Pass out some scarves for them to use as blankets.
- Say “shhh” and lower your voice as you sit down and prepare to sing for the class.
- In a soft and gentle tone begin the song.
- At the conclusion of the song softly tell the childrenit’s time to very slowly wake up
on the count of ten.
- Count to ten in the foreign language in a suspenseful way by strumming on the
guitar or tapping on the drum in between each number.
- When you get to ten, instruct the class to stretch their arms above their head, and
yawn to wake up.
- Have the class make sounds for 风|fēng, 雨|yŭ and 海|hǎ,iAFTER the lullaby section.
G. 再见朋友| Zài Jìan Péng Yǒu (Goodbye Friends)
Keywords: 再见| zài jìan (goodbye), 朋友| péng yǒu(friends)
- Instruct everyone to remain standing in order to keep a festive vibe after the dance
- Announce, “The time has come to say 再见| zài jìan.” Encourage the class to say
再见| zài jìan three times while waving their hands.
- Say, “朋友| péng yǒumeans friends.” Encourage the class to say 朋友| péng yǒu
three times in a fun way.
- Use the melody of the song to sing, “再见朋友，再见再见| zàijìan péng yǒu, zài
jìan zài jìan” and encourage the class to repeat singing that line with you.
- Now explain you will teach one more line from the song that is there part which
goes, “再见朋友，再见朋友，再见再见| zài jìan péng yǒu, zài jìanpéng yǒu,
zài jìan zài jìan!” Encourage the class to repeat with you.
- Instruct everyone to begin clapping their hands in a more accelerated rhythm that
- Begin singing 再见朋友| Zài Jìan Péng Yǒu.
- Accelerate rhythm using your hand drum or guitar.
- Sing the song one time through waving, jumping, or snapping.
H. 星光灿烂|Xīng Gūang Càn Làn (Stars Are Shining)
Keywords: 睡觉啰|shùi jìao lūo (it’s time to take a nap), 星星|xīng xīng (stars), 起床|qĭ
chúang (wake up)
- Explain “睡觉啰|shùi jìao lūo”.
- Say 嘘|xū three times while putting your finger in front of your mouth.
- Encourage class to say shh with you by hand gesturing for them to follow you.
- Turn off one light in the classroom and ask everyone to lay down on the ground and
relax. If scarves are available pass one out to eachchild to use ask a blanket.
- Play 星光灿烂|Xīng Gūang Càn Làn song.
- Count to ten and use your instrument to make a rhythm after each number.
- Turn on the lights in the room and say, “起床|qĭ chúang!”.
I. 我最喜欢的数字|Wǒ Zùi Xǐ Hūan Dē Shù Zì (My Favorite Number)
Keywords: 一| yi (one), 二| èr (two), 三| sān (three), 南瓜|nán gūa (pumpkin), 木瓜
|mù gūa (papaya), 西瓜|xī gūa (watermelon)
- Use your fingers to count and say, “一、二、三! | yi, èr, sān!” Translate and say,
“One, two, and three.”
- Explain, “我最喜欢的数字是三|wǒ zùi xǐ hūan dē shù zì shì sān. My favorite
number is three. Everyone count with me again (in a fun rhythm) 一、二、三 | yi,
èr, sān, 一、二、三 | yi, èr, sān, 一、二、三 | yi, èr, sān”.
- Explain to the class that you are going to sing about “三颗南瓜木瓜西瓜在田里
|sān kē nán gūa mù gūa xī gūa zài tían lǐ” while they will count to three in
- Instruct class to start a rhythm with their shakers.
- Sing song in an animated and lively way and cue by asking, “有多少沙铃?|yǒu dūo
shǎo shā líng?”.
- Sing the class’ part with them to encourage participation.
- Use new rhymes and encourage class to learn them as well.
J. 派对|Pài Dùi (Party)
Keywords: 派对|pài dùi (party)
- Explain that this is a dancing song. You can say, “We are going to the party. 我们要
去派对|wǒ mén yào qù pài dùi! When I say party, you say 派对|pài dùi! Party!
[pause] Party! [pause].”
- Teach three easy dance moves to the class so they can participate in the party. This is
important because often times people will not easily dance on their own if they do
not have an easy motion to do.
- Instruct the class to stand up with you and begin playing or clapping in a rhythm.
Say, “Let’s make a rhythm,” clap your hands or make a rhythm with the instruments
and then say, “Let’s go to the 派对|pài dùi!
- Sing once with class using instruments.
- Make a conga line. Have the kids line up behind you while you continuing playing
and singing the song. Dance around the room in a line and eventually end up where
you started as you finish the song.
- Pause before saying 派对|pài dùi and have the class sing it each time.